Maintaining a healthy diet during pregnancy is very important. During this time, your body needs additional nutrients, vitamins and minerals. In fact, you may need 350–500 extra calories each day during the second and third trimesters. Here are eight highly nutritious foods to eat when you are pregnant.
1. Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are very rich in beta-carotene, a plant compound that is converted into vitamin A in your body.
2. Salmon: Salmon is very rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids. These are found in high amounts in seafood, and help build the brain and eyes of your fetus.
3. Eggs: Eggs are the ultimate health food, as they contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need.
4. Broccoli and Leafy Greens: Broccoli and green vegetables, such as kale and spinach, contain many of the nutrients pregnant women need.
5. Lean Meat: Beef, pork and chicken are excellent sources of high-quality protein.
6. Berries: Berries are packed with water, healthy carbs, vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants.
7. Water: Amid pregnancy, blood volume increments by up to 1.5 liters or around 50 ounces. In this way, it is critical to remain legitimately hydrated.
8. Fruits: Fruit is generally high in calories, fiber and various vitamins and minerals.
Proper diet contains most of the nutrients that pregnant women need. They are also rich in fiber, which may help prevent or treat constipation. Just make sure to limit your portions and avoid candied varieties, to prevent excess sugar intake.